TheraSuit Method® was created by Izabela and Richard Koscielny who are both Physical Therapists and parents of a daughter with Cerebral Palsy.
ThersSuit is a very holistic approach to treatment for those afflicted with neurological disorders like Cerebral Palsy, Developmental Delays, and Traumatic Brain Injuries. It combines the best elements of various techniques and methods, and has a sound rationale based on physiology of exercises.
The key element is a strengthening program established for the participant based on his/her individual needs, strengths and weaknesses. Increased strength reflects in daily functional activities that usually follow or are combined with the strengthening exercises.
TheraSuit Method® is based on an intensive and specific exercise program. Elimination of pathological reflexes and establishing new, correct, and functional patterns of movements is of significant importance.
TheraSuit Method® utilizes various tools and exercises. One of them is the soft dynamic proprioceptive orthosis called TheraSuit®. TheraSuit® aligns the body as close to normal as possible. Reestablishing the correct postural alignment plays a crucial role in normalizing muscle tone, sensory and vestibular function.
Universal Exercise Unit is used to train one the abilities to isolate the desired movements and strengthen the muscle groups responsible for that movement. Universal Exercise Unit allows to gain range of motion, muscle and joint flexibility, as well as functional skills.
- Re-trains central nervous system
- Restores ontogenic development
- Provides external stabilization
- Normalizes muscle tone
- Aligns the body to as close to normal as possible
- Provides dynamic correction
- Normalizes (corrects) gait pattern
- Provides tactile stimulation
- Influences the vestibular system
- Improves balance
- Improves coordination
- Decreases uncontrolled movements in ataxia and athetosis
- Improves body and spatial awareness
- Supports weak muscles
- Provides resistance to strong muscles to further enhance strengthening
- Improves speech production and its fluency through head control and trunk support
- Promotes development of both fine and gross motor skills
- Improves bone density
- Helps to decrease contractures
- Helps improve hip alignment through vertical loading over the hip joint
- Reason to Use TheraSuit:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental delays
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Post stroke (CVA)
- Spasticity (increased muscle tone)
- Hypotonia (low muscle tone)